Thursday, November 15, 2007

Session 15 - Building on Linux another nightmare

BREAKING NEWS (this has happen after this post):
----------------------------------------------------
This is what I tried to run minefield:

  • firefox -P development -no-remote //does not work
  • /home/armen/sandbox/mozilla/obj-i686-pc-linux-gnu/dist/bin/firefox -P development -no-remote //it did work
  • ./firefox -P development -no-remote //which works
Thanks Andrew

BEGINNING OF POST:
-------------------------

I have installed Virtual Box and I am running Ubuntu 7.something (Gutsy), which I got from the Freedom Toaster at Seneca. I also added the Guest Additions to have better video resolution and others.

This means that now I can build on my laptop but I gotta say that in Linux I am having more problems to build than on Windows. In Windows everything seems to be more straight forward.


I tried to check-out and I got this error message:

  • armen@armen-linux:/tmp/sandbox$ cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs-mirror.mozilla.org:/cvsroot co mozilla/client.mk
    The program 'cvs' can be found in the following packages:
    * cvsnt
    * cvs
    Try: sudo apt-get install
    bash: cvs: command not found

Therefore I tried the suggestion:
  • sudo apt-get install cvs


Now, I have CVS installed, let's check-out:
I am trying to build and it seems that the are more problems:
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
I have tried this, since I tried to use "package" to get a package manager or something:
  • sudo apt-get install mailagent //I don't think this was necessary
The gcc version is:
  • gcc version 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)

I am checking the build requirements on developers.m.o:
  • It seems that pkg-config --version is 0.22, rather than 0.9 //doesn't apply, it must be a typo or something

I just found that the whole problem is that I need the package build-essential that depends in few others and Ubuntu would always ask me for a CD. This is the way around thanks to Ben Hearsum :D

I had to comment the line:
# deb cdrom:[Ubuntu 7.10 _Gutsy Gibbon_ - Release i386
(20071016)]/ gutsy main restricted
in the file: /etc/apt/sources.
list
REMEMBER to use SUDO(root privileges) when modifying the file and when running the update:
  • sudo apt-get update
  • sudo apt-get install build-essential

At this point, I am at home, keep on trying and now on #developers Joshua and fantasai
It seems that now these packages are missing:
  • checking gtk+-2.0 >= 1.8.0 gdk-x11-2.0 glib-2.0 gobject-2.0... Not found, bla, bla
A guy in developer told me to get this:
  • sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev //but it wasn't enough
  • sudo apt-get build-dep firefox
Now, I get this:
  • checking for libcurl... no
  • sudo apt-get install libcurl3-dev
Finally it seems that is working!

Mullin says to use this next time: sudo apt-cache search
libcurl

I was able to do all of this because there were some people on IRC who knew this, not because I was able to read it from developers website!

-------------------------------


I also tried to do the lab for Thursday but I had some errors on copy and pasting and when it seemes that everything actually got made, Minefield crashed saying that I had a problem with an rdf or a manifest, I can't recall.

I have downloaded the source code again and built again, but now I have a new problem, IT ALWAYS OPEN FF2 EVEN IF I CREATE A NEW PROFILE!!!!


This wouldn't be my blog if I would be able to do something at the first try :(

No comments:

Post a Comment