Wednesday, November 07, 2007

SESSION 14 - Patch for Thunderbird

Today, in class I decided to use Linux rather than Windows (since Dave insisted that was faster) and I didn't feel so uncomfortable as I thought but it seems that in the lab that the computers shut off around 6pm, therefore I lost my patch and everything.

Trying this lab: Thunderbird_Bug_Fix_Lab


Anyway, I am back here on Windows and I am checking out the source code for Thunderbird (I already have Firefox's source code in this machine).

  • make -f client.mk checkout MOZ_CO_PROJECT=mail
  • cvs -d :pserver:anonymous@cvs-mirror.mozilla.org:/cvsroot co mozilla/mail/config/mozconfig

I will probably change the .mozconfig just for this build
. $topsrcdir/mail/config/mozconfig
mk_add_options MOZ_OBJDIR=@TOPSRCDIR@/tbird-debug
mk_add_options MOZ_CO_PROJECT=mail,calendar
ac_add_options --disable-optimize
ac_add_options --enable-debug
In class, though the time I spent discussing with the rest of class mates, I realized that I was going to fancy about how to fix the bug. I am going to try this change in this file: http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/netwerk/streamconv/converters/mozTXTToHTMLConv.cpp Let's move to mozilla/tbird-debug/netwerk/streamconv/converters and do a "make"
Let's run it:
  • /c/ff/mozilla/tbird/dist/bin/thunderbird.exe

My changes weren't been reflected so I try attaching VS2005 to it and it directly told me that the source file I was editing wasn't the one being executed!! I think that is amazing!

I had to build 2 folders above. Here are the links with the 2 different make's I tried:

To make the patch, from the "mozilla" folder:
  • cvs diff -u8p . > patch_td.txt

To apply the patch add it to you "mozilla" source folder and apply it like this:
  • patch -p0 < patch_td.txt

My own bug in landfill: http://landfill.bugzilla.org/bugzilla-3.0-branch/show_bug.cgi?id=6008
My own patch:
http://matrix.senecac.on.ca/~azambran/mozilla/patches/patch_td.txt
(I need somebody to review it)

Once I have attached the patch to the bug, I read this: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Getting_your_patch_in_the_tree and I have realized that I could have set a flag when doing the attachement but now I will have to cselect the "Details" of the attachment and then set the "review" flag to '?' and add the email of two class members separated by a comma, who are "reviewers"

Now it shows in the attachment a column that says this:

azambran: review? (masmullin)
azambran: review? (awdelyea)


That's it for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment